Sunday, May 31, 2009

Strawberries and Happiness


Yesterday my mom and I went to pick strawberries at a local farm. It was great fun. She had been before, but it was my first time. We went to the entrance and got a couple of baskets. Then the nice owner man told us how to get to the field. We drove around and got out and he was there to meet us. As we approached him, he gave us very specific instructions. Most people he told to just go up this one row and put down a flag where you stop. Because I was "energetic and responsible" he gave me a specific task. He said that I could go up and down ALL the rows south of where Mom was working. These berries here were mostly green and not ready, but every now and then, he told me, I would find a nice big purple strawberry (meaning nice and tasty). But because they're few and far between, he doesn't tell many people about them.

So I start  on my hunt, and begin to doubt as I only see lush green foliage and tiny green berries. And then I find a huge perfect strawberry hiding deep inside the row. A ways down, I find another! Indeed, they were few and far between, but they were all wonderful and perfect. The owner came back to check up on me, and was pleased that I was having success in my task. I had to cover about 4 times the distance Mom did and work twice as fast to find as many, but as we compared out bounties, it was pretty clear that my berries appeared much darker, and fuller, and plain better.

It's my testimony, once again reaffirmed, that the Owner knows his garden. Heavenly Father is the Lord of the vineyard and we are the workers fulfilling His great work! It's so tempting to go off and do our own thing, but if we will take strict heed to The Lord's Voice, as received from prophets and personally through the Spirit, we will be able to find those perfect strawberries of happiness and success. The strawberry could represent a new job or happiness in the family, or success at work, or anything! But the best will always require double the effort, and might take more time - but it is always worth it! The Owner, our Father, is interested in our success and will often visit us (usually through other servants and his leaders and our friends) to guide and encourage us further. 

By following He who Knows and being willing to put forth the required effort, we can all enjoy the fresh homemade jam and delicious strawberry pies of life!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Gosh, Nathan, and here I thought we were simply picking berries!