Sunday, July 19, 2009

Rock Climbing and the Atonement


For years, my dad and I have loved to go Rappelling and Rock Climbing. We do what's called a top belay, where he stands on top of the rock and
belays the rappeller down and then pulls the climber back up. Both he and the rope are connected back to a huge boulder that's part of the mountain, using 18,000-lb. fabric truck tie-downs (aka super safe). I've always felt very safe leaving his side and hopping over the cliff and rappelling down below. Climbing up is always a fun challenge.


There is a certain place we have gone to for about the past 10 years along the Appalachian Trail. It's about a 60-ft rock and has many different routes back to the top. Up the middle is the hardest. The beginning isn't too bad, and even the middle part isn't extremely difficult, but that last little part - at least for me - is nearly impossible.

Mainly because the rock juts out about 3 feet, so in order to reach the top of the mountain, you have to go up, around, and over this big ledge that hangs out above you. Yikes!

For years and years I would attempt the climb up the middle, hoping that maybe this was the time I would make it over that last little ledge. But almost every time, I would get to a point where I just couldn't go any further, and then my dad would have to pull me up a few feet until I was over the hardest part. Or I would totally fall while trying, and he would catch me as I dangled, and allow me to keep trying till I got it. I would always finally make it back to his side, after a long climb, and thank him for his help, but feel a little disappointed that I didn't really do it on my own.

But then I realized that's what the Atonement is all about. Before this life, we lived with the Father on top of the Mountain and enjoyed being in his presence, but we knew we needed to experience a mortal life and descended (rappelled) down to earth where we can no longer physically see our Father. But we can Hear his voice every now and then - through prophets. And there are others who are down on the ground (earth), like our parents and family, helping us know what to and where to go as we make our climb back up to the Father to once again live in his presence.

Most importantly, we are connected to the Father with the rope - or the Spirit, His Power. I know that just like my dad pulled me up the rest of the way over that last ledge, the Atonement of Jesus Christ helps us overcome that last obstacle of death and sin, AFTER we have done all that we can do. My dad won't just pull me up from the bottom of the rock. Nor will we be able to live with God forever by simply asking. We must do. We must climb as hard and as much as we can, and then the Atonement of Christ will make up the difference and pull us up the rest of the way. The good news is, since we're all different, all we have to do is our best. All that we can do. That is the power of the Atonement: to do for us what we cannot do on our own.


But I later realized that Atonement is much more than that. As I climbed up the rock, I of course felt the rope - my dad's power - pull me up over that last obstacle, but when I thought about it, I also felt that upward lift every step of the way. The Atonement of Jesus Christ is NOT just for the very end of life, but it is in fact for every foot and hand hold of the Climb of Life. Because Christ suffered, we do not have to. Christ suffered for our sins and death - yes - but also for our pains, sicknesses, stresses, problems, anxieties, weaknesses, and concerns. He knows how we feel in any situation, and His Grace is sufficient to make us strong and whole and happy and at peace. As I climb up the rock, I feel that upward tug of the rope as my dad keeps the line taught. Heavenly Father will do all HE can to help us every single moment of our lives, as long as we continue to try out best.

I am so grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and the Redemptive and Enabling Power it has. Redemptive Power to help us all over that last obstacle, or ledge, that is impossible on our own, and Enabling Power to encourage and uplift us and to help us have peace and joy along the journey, doing things that we normally couldn't do alone. The Atonement is real, and is available to all men everywhere. All that God asks is that we believe in Him, repent of our sins, be baptized by immersion, receive the Holy Ghost, and endure to the end. Through prayer, we can call on God to bless us with the healing power of the Atonement. Ask and ye shall receive!

He also asks, of course, that you don't take off your harness in the middle of the climb. As long as you keep your harness on - that is, keep your Faith and Believe in Him - you will never fall, even if you let go of the rock. As long as we keep our Harnesses of Faith tight and secure, The Father will lift us up to safety and help us once again return to live with Him. He is always watching from above and is mindful of every step we take.

The Atonement makes it possible to return to God, to be free from sin, and to simply be happy!

3 comments:

Curly Southpaw said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Curly Southpaw said...

Wonderful analogy! Did you teach this to your kids at YC?


P.S. Awesome pictures too

Nathan said...

I did actually share this as part of my devotional on the Atonement. Thanks!